IDI: Beyond Compliance—Achieving True Usability in Intercultural Competence Training
Introduction: A Global Leader in Intercultural Competence
Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) is a frontrunner in providing customized assessment services aimed at fostering intercultural competence. Serving a diverse clientele that includes educational institutions, government agencies, NGOs, and corporations, IDI offers state-of-the-art assessment expertise and certification seminars both domestically and internationally. Recognizing that compliance is just the starting point, IDI partnered with Zenyth for a comprehensive WCAG 2.1 Level AA Audit, along with ongoing consulting to address user-specific issues.
Scope of Work: A Holistic Approach to Accessibility
Our engagement with IDI was extensive and multi-faceted, covering various aspects of digital accessibility:
- WCAG 2.1 Level AA Audit: Detailed evaluation of IDI's application-based desktop and mobile platforms to meet the highest standards of accessibility.
- Audit Retest/Verification: Follow-up assessments to validate the effective implementation of recommended accessibility features.
- Remediation Oversight/Consulting: Expert guidance throughout the remediation process to ensure full compliance.
- Ongoing Consulting: Addressing issues raised by users that go beyond WCAG conformance to achieve a truly usable experience for all.
- Accessibility Statement & Policies: Development and publication of a robust accessibility statement and policies.
- VPAT/ACR: Voluntary Product Accessibility Template and Accessibility Conformance Report to document compliance.
- PDF Remediation: Ensuring that all PDF documents are accessible, in line with WCAG 2.1 Level AA standards.
The Audit: Customized for Application-Based Platforms
Given IDI's specialized application-based services, the WCAG 2.1 Level AA Audit was tailored to address the unique challenges and opportunities of app-based intercultural competence training. The audit combined automated scans, manual evaluations, and user testing to identify any potential accessibility barriers.
Results and Remediation: A Commitment to Universal Access
Upon completion of the audit, IDI received a comprehensive report outlining areas for improvement and those already in compliance. Demonstrating a steadfast commitment to accessibility, IDI promptly acted on Zenyth's recommendations. Our team provided ongoing Remediation Oversight and Consulting to ensure that all changes were effectively implemented and compliant with WCAG 2.1 Level AA guidelines.
Ongoing Consulting: Exceeding Requirements for True Usability
In addition to meeting compliance standards, IDI has engaged Zenyth for ongoing consulting to address specific issues raised by users. This proactive approach positions IDI uniquely in the field, as they not only aim for compliance but also strive to exceed requirements to create a truly usable and inclusive digital experience for all people.
Conclusion: Setting a New Standard in Accessible Intercultural Training
Through its partnership with Zenyth, IDI has set a new benchmark for digital accessibility in the field of intercultural competence. This case study serves as a compelling example of how digital accessibility can significantly enhance the quality of services offered. By adhering to WCAG 2.1 Level AA standards and going beyond them through ongoing consulting, IDI ensures that its invaluable training and assessment services are accessible to a broader and more diverse audience, fulfilling its mission to build intercultural competence at both individual and team levels.